DA VINCI SURGICAL SYSTEM
The da Vinci® Surgical System offers a minimally invasive alternative to both open surgery and laparoscopy. Because it requires only a few tiny incisions and offers greater vision, precision and control for the surgeon, patients can often recover sooner, move on to additional treatments if needed, and get back to daily life quicker.
Potential benefits of the da Vinci system for patients include:
• Reduced pain
• Lower risk of infection or complications
• Less blood loss (fewer transfusions)
• Shorter hospital stays
• Less scarring due to smaller incisions
• Faster return to normal activities (e.g., sexual function, urinary continence)
• Alpine Urology surgeons who perform robotic surgeries are highly trained and able to perform minimally invasive robotic surgeries for prostate, gynecologic, stomach, pancreas, liver and colon cancers.
HOW IT WORKS
In traditional minimally invasive surgery, the surgeon operates while standing, using hand-held instruments that cannot bend or rotate. The surgeon must look up and away to a nearby standard 2D video monitor to see an image of the target anatomy.
With the da Vinci System’s ergonomic design, the surgeon is able to operate from a comfortable, seated position at a console, with eyes and hands in line with the instruments, and a magnified, high-definition 3D view of the target anatomy. Some potential advantages include:
• Greater surgical precision
• Increased range of motion
• Improved dexterity
• Enhanced visualization, including areas that may not be seen by the naked eye
• Improved access to hard-to-reach areas
• Improved ability to spare healthy tissue not impacted by cancer